If you feel that you have information that will impact your admission decision, please follow the detailed instructions for submitting an appeal packet:
- Fill out the proper admissions appeal form. (See below.)
- Your appeal packet must include a letter or personal statement clearly outlining your reasons for appealing the initial decision. If you are lacking requirements, it must also include a detailed plan for completing the missing requirement(s). The information you present should be new and compelling.
- If appropriate, include documents that will support your appeal. Supporting documents can include: proof of enrollment, recommendation letters, disability documents, etc. If you have disability documents, please reference them in your appeal packet and send them directly to Disability Services.
- If you are appealing to have your application reviewed with an impacted major, support from that department is highly recommended.
- Please note that every document submitted is reviewed. Make sure you include all documents that are pertinent to your appeal in your appeal packet. Documents not submitted with the appeal packet will not be considered and cannot be submitted after a decision has been made.
Every appeal request is reviewed by the Appeals Committee on a case by case basis. Please submit a complete appeal packet as your appeal will only be reviewed one time. You are only allowed one appeal per application cycle. All decisions are final and cannot be appealed.
There are three categories of appeals: you have missed a deadline, you applied and you were denied admissions, or you have been admitted but your admissions is being rescinded because you no longer meet admissions requirements after review of final documents. Please select the appropriate appeals form and follow the directions carefully. Incomplete appeals packets will be returned without being reviewed . Due to enrollment constraints, all appeals will be considered on a space available basis.
To be used when:
- You did not submit a required document (transcripts, test scores, deposit) by the due date so your application was cancelled.
- If you are submitting your application after the application deadline or for a program during a time that it is closed for admissions, please refer to the application for special considertation information below. Check Application Deadlines to confirm if the deadline for your desired program has passed.
Admissions Requirements Not Met
To be used when:
- You were denied admissions for not meeting admissions requirements.
- You are a transfer student that was denied for lacking the requirements of an impacted major and you are requesting a reevaluation of your file under an alternate, non-impacted major.
To be used when:
- You were admitted and no longer meet admissions requirements after review of your official final transcripts and/or other documents. Admissions Rescind Appeal requests will be considered on a space available basis and must be received within 7 calendar days of the emailed rescind notification.
Application for Special Consideration
To be used when:
- You did not submit an application by the specific program deadline
- You applied to the incorrect program (for example if you applied to Extended Education but you want to apply to a regular university program)
- You wish to apply to a program level that is not currently open (such as a Lower Division Transfer or Second Bachelor's degree)
If you fall into one of the above categories or if you are directed to do so by the Office of Admissions, then you will need to follow these steps to submit an application:
- Complete and submit the Application for Special Consideration Form
- Once your appeal has been granted, you will receive the approval email (to the email address provided on the appeal form) with your Invitation Code. Late applications cannot be submitted without an Invitation Code.
- Please follow the Approved Late Application Instructions to submit your application.
Application Fee Waiver: If your financial situation, or that of your family’s, has significantly changed from 2017, you may request to have your eligibility for an admission applicant fee waiver re-evaluated. To initiate the review process, please complete this Application Fee Waiver Appeal form and attach a personal statement detailing the change in income and circumstances. In addition to the personal statement, please provide a copy of a recent pay stub if available, which includes year-to-date earnings. Include other documents as appropriate to support your request.
Before you submit the fee waiver form, please review the Application Fee Waiver Checklist to ensure that you that you followed the appropriate steps.
Note: Students that have already used fee waivers to apply to four campuses are ineligible for a fifth waiver. Four is the maximum number of fee waivers permitted.
The form should be mailed or faxed to:
Sonoma State University
Attn: Office of Admissions
1801 East Cotati Avenue
Rohnert Park, CA 94928